Why not practise this neat recipe to improve on Akela Judith's burnt campfood offerings!?
Camp pizzas with Creative toppingsPizza Serves 4
Ingredients300g (12oz/1 and a bit cups)
self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting,
a pinch of salt,
150g (3oz/ó cup) margarine or butter,
250ml (ó pint/1 cup) milk
- Mix the flour, salt and margarine or butter with the milk to form a smooth, thick dough and knead on a lightly floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Roll the dough out using a rolling pin or an empty wine bottle onto a double layer of foil that has been sprinkled with a little flour.
- Place the foil onto the edge of hot campfire embers for about 15 minutes, then remove it to add your toppings.
- Once you have topped your pizza (see suggestions below) return to the heat for a further 15 minutes.Check it frequently so that it doesn’t burn.
Classic Margarita – tomato pizza sauce, sliced mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves. Breakfast pizza – tomato pizza sauce, bacon, sausage slices, mushrooms and a cracked egg on top. Oriental surprise – cooked chicken, spring onions, cashew nuts and hoisin or plum sauce. Seafood platter – flaked cooked salmon, prawns, anchovies and Gruyère cheese.
Try something different..
- Cook on a hot barbecue grill and add 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- Cook in an oven preheated to 160°C (325°F), gas mark 3 and reduce the total cooking time to 20 minutes.