This also resulted in us peering into roof cavities to ascertain the extent of water damage & track it's entry point.
What we found out...
as per the woefully inadequate 1965 building regs there is either no insulation or minimal (1 inch) over the extension Hut entry point, kitchen, Loo's, "Office" ..this will need addressing.
2. the old chimney whilst appearing to the untrained eye to be in ok condition requires a vent at the bottom where it has in fact been bricked up (many years past) in order to stave off damp & keep brickwork secure, upon capping off (capping off has never been done).
3. We rodded & tracked drainage where a blockage has occurred, & anticipate work needs to be performed on the outside area (earth & rubble removal) ..requiring a SMALL work party of a few parents for a couple of hours) ..this will eventually assist in tidying up the frontage & improving the useage of the hut & grounds ,so a worthy endeavour, we'll notify of plans for a work party shortly when logistics ..(Bacon sandwiches) are covered.
4. We filled & re-mortared various holes from old pipework, re-mortared crumbling areas to prevent further ingress.
5. removed encroaching ivy & caulked to curtail water ingress.
6. investigated & dug down areas of suspected rising damp within the building to be approached & tackled accordingly.
7. general kitchen area clear-out & disinfect.
8. inspected the roof storage area within the hut (flag end) ready for a clear out prior to renovation & weatherproofing.
9. shored up mortar along wall & applied a lead compatible silicone sealant along roof edges in order to tackle exterior leaks.
Overall this took 7 hours of Judith Dale & a parents free time & will inevitably take more... therefore we would ask that anyone who would care to join a dedicated odd-job work party for a few hours in coming months (plenty of Tea & biscuits provided) makes themselves known.
Initially we need to pare back the ground besides the path (to the left as you enter the gate) & remove the soil, few plants etc, which we anticipate would take a few hours between a few willing helpers.