Some of you might have been lucky enough to visit the Ramsey 1940's weekend event, ..Last september some of you (well a lot of you actually) stayed on the site for our Ramsey camp! ...well Holme is just up the road about 7 miles from Ramsey (towards Peterborough) & they have a world war 2 event at an old "secret base" ..yes really!
This year it's taking place on...
Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th October 2013 (Open 10am to 4pm both days)
& if you ever wanted to take a ride on a real tank ..this may be your best chance to do something different!
There is a whole host of attractions at the 1940's weekend including:
- Tanks rides
- Vintage Bus Rides (457th Memorial site, Airfield)
- Wide range of displays/stalls
- Spitfire Simulator
- 1940s style ploughing
- Vintage military vehicles
- Wartime cinema showing footage from British, USA and Canadian forces
- Battle of Britain Memorial Fly Past (TBC)
- 1940s dance - booking essential, limited tickets available (Saturday)
- Bar and hot food
- Church open
- Holmewood Hall open with displays and refreshments
- Hair raid shelter (1940s hairdressers - booking advisable)
- Tea dance (Sunday)
- Memorial march and wreath laying ceremony (Sunday)
A visit to see the hall, grounds & goings on's over the weekend COULD count toward your cub's Local knowledge badge! ..so why not give it a go!?
The history of Holmewood was well hidden till only a few years ago! & just after the war people involved in it's secret operations became the CIA (the "well known" secret service)If you would like to read up on its history ..follow this link http://www.holmewoodhall.co.uk/history but if anyone asks! I didn't tell you about it! ;)