By Izzy M.
WE'VE HAD A BUSY DAY BAKING TODAY, TRYING OUT NEW BREAD, EXPERIMENTING WITH CHELSEA BUNS (THEY'LL BE BETTER NEXT TIME) & FINALLY, MY FAVOURITES.... RICE KRISPIE TREATS
These are really simple until you have to wrestle the sticky gooey tastey mess into shape on a greaseproof paper lined tray to shape & cut them into portions.
Wait till they're cool as they cut far more easily, & you can always heat the bowl of mixed krispie mallows up for 30 seconds in the microwave to soften them up if you need to wrestle with them some more!
RECIPE CONTINUED BELOW..
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pack (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract if available
- OR -
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (cheap non-branded are fine)
- add in some toffees to make them stickier & gooier (but only a small handful)
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
Add marshmallows & vanilla extract and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.
Box them up or wrap them individually in some grease-proof paper & seal them to avoid pocket lint!
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
-For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
-Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
-Stores for around 5 days at room temperature in airtight container.
-To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 - 30 minutes before serving.